While Brad was working hard on installing a sound system in his car this past weekend, I thought I would work outside as well. Since we've made several things for the house lately, our garage was starting to fill up with extra scrap boards. I measured the boards to see how much I was working with and what exactly I could make with them. I decided since I was the only one going to be working on this project, I better keep it simple! I had previously seen a cute idea for a wooden crate, therefore I went for it. Bradley turned me loose with the power tools and away I went...scary I know. Again, I did not take pictures along the way, but here is the finished crate. Two sides and the bottom are left over plywood board, while the slatted sides are a hodge podge. 6 of the boards are 1x3's and the top ones are a 1x2. Funny story, some of our neighbors down the road moved out earlier this week and left a whole huge pile of junk on the curb. People have been stopping constantly to go through the garbage and take whatever they please. Well, as I was building my crate, I realized I was going to be one 1x3 board short of having 6 total to make the sides. Creepishly, I walked down the road, grabbed a 1x3 board from the garbage and saved myself a trip to Lowe's. The way I look at it, it just adds character to the crate. HA!
I used the mint green stain we had left over from our ladder bookcase. To make it personal, I added the SHILLITO stencils.
And since Bradley and I were married on June of last year, I did our establishment date on the other side.
To finish it off, Bradley got some thick rope and bore out holes on the sides to make handles. Yes, it definitely looks homemade, but I am quite proud of myself. Not just for building it, but for using the saw and all! We are using it to store magazines and books right now. Dutchess thinks its her other toy box though...I caught her just yesterday pulling her "new toys" out. I'm sure we will come home one day and there will be shreds of paper everywhere!
No comments:
Post a Comment