As I was grocery shopping this past week, I came across a pound of beautiful strawberries for fairly cheap. Now I love strawberries by themselves and will eat them for a snack throughout the day. Bradley, on the other hand, not so much. Therefore, I thought..what could I do to make Brad help me eat these strawberries? Let's try angel food cake.
Homemade Angel Food Cake (yield: 6-8 servings)
3/4 cups egg whites (about 6)
1/2 cup cake flour
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar (see below)**
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
pinch salt
1/2 cup sugar
**I did not have cream of tartar and had to use a substitute. Oddly enough, you can use white vinegar in it's place. Take the amount of cream of tartar called for, multiply by 2 for the white vinegar. Example: the recipe calls for 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar. Use 1 tsp. of white vinegar instead.
Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat oven at 325. Sift together cake flour and confectioners' sugar; set aside. In a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar (or vinegar), vanilla and salt on medium speed until soft peaks have formed. Turn mixer to high and add 2 tsp. of sugar at a time until the whole 1/2 cup is incorporated. Beat until there are stiff glossy peaks formed.
Gradually fold in the flour mixture. Gently spoon into a lightly greased bundt pan. Bake on the lowest rack at 325 for 25-30 minutes.
You will know when the cake is done when it springs back up after you gently press on it. Immediately invert the baking pan and cool completely.
Homemade Whipping Cream
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 tbsp. sugar
Beat on high until frothy and stiff peaks are formed.
Add angel food cake, homemade whip cream, and sliced sugared strawberries together. VOILA!
My plan worked. Before I could even sit down on the couch to eat my dessert, I look over and Brad is scraping his plate. This recipe definitely made the cut.
No comments:
Post a Comment