Guana Tolomato Matanzas National Estuarine Research Reserve is the true definition of natural beauty. Granted I have only seen a very, very small portion, but it was breathtaking. I met with the Volunteer Coordinator today and am going to begin volunteering there soon! The fact that this place is tucked between Jacksonville and Saint Augustine is crazy. The wildlife seemed not to be bothered by the humans around them at the reserve. Fish were jumping constantly, huge birds were flying and landing within feet of me, and the smell of saltwater overwhelmed me. I sat there and just admired God's handy work that I so often take for granted.
GTMNERR is 73,352 acres stretching from Jacksonville Beach to Palm Coast. A species list recently compiled for the reserve indicated the presence of at least 44 mammal, 358 bird, 41 reptile, 21 amphibian, 303 fish and 580 plant species. It contains habitats essential to 48 protected animal and 8 protected plants. That is huge!!
From beach access points to hiking/walking trails to an outdoor amphitheater, there's something for everyone to enjoy nature here.
Above it all, what lured me into wanting to get involved at GTMNERR is the research. The sky is truly the limit as to how I can contribute to their studies. One popular research program is of course the sea turtle.
I look very forward to getting to help out and having the best environment to work in. How can you dread going to work when you are surrounded by such beauty?







Great blog and post! What a beautiful and interesting place to work. Thanks so much for stopping by and for following! It's so nice to meet ya'll. :)
ReplyDelete