Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Random Recipes for the Main Course

I have so many wonderful recipes I want you guys to check out that I dedicated this whole post to yummy-ness! 

Barbeque Chicken Pizza

Homemade Pizza Dough (copied from an earlier post in March)
 (makes 2: 10-12inch  pizzas) - you can freeze one.
- 1.5 cups warm water
- 1 package (2.25 tsp.) active dry yeast*
- 3.5 cups all purpose or bread flour
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sugar

*I know how it is to see a recipe with active dry yeast in it and want to run. I promise you, don't be scared. Yes, it takes longer to prepare this way, but it is very worth it!

Put water and yeast into mixer and let sit for 5 minutes. If not dissolved completely after the 5 minutes, turn on mixer until it is dissolved. Mix in the oil, sugar, salt, and flour on low setting for 1 minute. Trade out mixing head for a dough hook. Knead using the dough hook on medium setting for 10 minutes. Place ball of dough in a lightly olive oil coated bowl. Turn the dough so that it gets coated all over with oil. Cover with plastic and let sit in a warm place for at least 1.5 hours (or longer will improve flavor). **For a warm place, I let my oven heat up to 150 degrees and then turn it off. Also, I let my dough rise for 3 hours.

Once pizza dough is ready,  roll into a 10-12 inch pizza (round or square, doesn't matter). Prepare grill on high heat. When coals are proper temperature, place the pizza directly onto the grill. Cook for 2 minutes or until golden brown. The top of the pizza will form bubbles. Take the pizza off the grill and flip over to where the cooked part is on the top.


 Meanwhile, prepare the BBQ pizza sauce.

BBQ Pizza Sauce:
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp. spicy mustard
2 tbsp. soy sauce
7-8 good shakes of Tabasco
Simmer all ingredients in a pan until the sauce is thickened to your liking.

(Brad and I don't like a lot of sauce on our pizza so we didn't use all of what was made)

Spread the sauce onto the cooked portion of pizza dough.
 Next, saute half of a chopped onion in butter. Arrange on pizza.
 Now it's time for the chicken. I marinated the chicken in BBQ sauce and then cooked it on the grill. You do not have to grill it, but it adds the most flavor. Once cooked, chop chicken into small pieces and put on top of pizza.
 Last preparation step: shred mozzarella cheese (as much as you'd like!) and scatter onto pizza.
When you have all the toppings you'd like on your pizza, place back onto hot grill. Shut the grill top and let cook for 3-5 minutes. It will not take long to cook the bottom of the pizza, but you want all the cheese to be nice and melted. Be careful not to burn your crust.

Ooey-Gooey masterpiece all done!! This was definitely my favorite pizza we've ever made! Try it out!


On a completely different note, here's another must try! I actually made up this recipe myself and luckily it turned out awesome on the first try. I am always looking for crock-pot recipes for the simplicity and easiness of a good meal. I threw all the "Asian" things in my kitchen together in the crock-pot to make these Asian lettuce wraps.


Asian Lettuce Wraps
2 chicken breasts                                                 Head of lettuce
1 cup chicken broth
2 1/2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. toasted sesame seed oil
1/4 chopped large onion
1 tsp. ground hot mustard
1 tsp. minced garlic
2-3 tsp. chili garlic sauce
1 tsp. sugar
2 tbsp. peanut butter
pinch salt & pepper

Place chicken breasts on the bottom of crock-pot. Mix all other ingredients together in a bowl and pour on top of the chicken. Turn the crock-pot temperature to low and cook for 6-8 hours. Once chicken has cooked for 6-8 hours, take two forks and shred the chicken. Let shredded chicken sit in the juices for 15 minutes.
In the meantime, wash your lettuce and tear into cups big enough to wrap your meat. 





I'm sure you know what to do next...dig in! Wrap the shredded chicken with the lettuce as you would a taco. I like to reserve some of the juices and pour it over my wraps. ENJOY!

A good side dish to prepare to go along with the lettuce wraps are shanghai cucumbers. Recipe is as follows.

Shanghai Cucumbers:

12 oz. Peeled and Seeded Cucumbers, cut into 1 inch pieces
1.5 oz. soy sauce
1 tsp. white vinegar
1/4 tsp. sesame oil
1/2 tsp. toasted sesame seeds

Mix sauce ingredients together. Pour over chopped cucumbers and sprinkle the sesame seeds on top. Serve chilled.



For a third completely different idea, here's a recipe for Chorizo Quiche. I find myself making the same old things over and over for dinner and like to try new things. This was definitely a new tasting experience. I had never had chorizo previously, much less cooked it.

Chorizo Quiche

Pie Crust: 
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup shortening
2 tbsp. water

Mix flour and salt. Cut in shortening. Sprinkle with water and mix with fork. Roll into a ball. Roll out 1 inch larger than inverted pie pan. Ease into pan and prick crust with fork to allow even baking.

Quiche:
1/2 lb. chorizo, cooked and crumbled
1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
2 tbsp. green chilies
3 eggs
1 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup milk
1/8 tsp cumin
salt & pepper

Press chorizo, cheese and chilies into bottom of pie crust. Beat the eggs, cream and milk, and seasonings in a mixing bowl until blended. Check seasonings and add whatever if needed. Pour into pie crust. Bake at 375 for 30-45 minutes or until quiche has puffed and browned.

If you've never cooked chorizo either, it is very similar to sausage.
Chorizo and Chilies
 Chorizo, Chilies and Cheese
 Quiche before going into the oven
 And once it came out!
  Slice of goodness!

I hope you will try one of these recipes if not all of them! Please comment and let me know if you do!! I'd love to hear your thoughts, good or bad :).


No comments:

Post a Comment