Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls

Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls...yummy, yummy, yummy is all I can say. We (Bradley and I) recently watched an episode of "Diners, Drive-in's and Dives" where Guy visited an Asian grill (Bop-N-Grill). One of their featured specialties at the restaurant was Philly cheesesteak egg rolls. As Brad and I watched, our mouths began to drool and our stomachs growled. I immediately thought, I have to get my hands on this recipe or try and copy it myself. As I looked on the internet, I found many recipes for the egg rolls, but none that I wanted to follow word by word. That's when I went to the kitchen and combined all the "good" things I liked about each recipe. Here's my version of the perfect Philly Cheesesteak Egg Roll:

Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls                                makes 4-5 rolls
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tbsp. milk
  • olive oil
  • 1 lb. sirloin steak
  • pepperjack cheese (1 slice per egg roll: 1/4 in thick)
  • egg roll wrappers
  • 1/2 small onion, chopped
  • small bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 cup coleslaw cabbage
  • 1 tbsp. worcestershire
  • 1 tsp. soy
  • 1 tsp. teriyaki
  • 1 tbsp. chili garlic sauce
  • 1 tbsp. sesame seeds  
Marinate onion, bell pepper and coleslaw in worcestershire, soy and teriyaki. Slice sirloin steak super thin and toss with sesame seeds and chili garlic sauce. Heat skillet or wok and give two turns of olive oil. Saute the veggies then let cool in a bowl. In the same skillet, add the meat until brown (don't cook for long at all, you don't want the steak to be tough). Set aside. Heat the deep fryer to 375*. Mix the milk and egg to make the egg wash. Take each egg roll wrapper, place a slice of cheese in the middle and spread the egg wash around the outside of egg roll. Fill middle of egg roll with the meat/veggie mixture and roll up into egg roll shape. Fry until golden brown (doesn't take long at all, so watch it!)

Slice Steak
 Egg Roll wrappers I used
 Saute veggies
 Marinated steak
 Cook steak
 Prepare egg roll wrappers with egg wash and place cheese in the middle
 Fry until golden brown deliciousness
 Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls w/ Sesame Cucumbers

I also made a cheese sauce to drizzle back on top. I simply melted butter, added flour to thicken then whisked milk and grated American cheese on low heat until I achieved the desired thickness. For the sesame cucumbers, I made the recipe (from an earlier post).

Only negative thing about these egg rolls is I wish I could get the steak sliced a little thinner. I will know for next time! Brad said this was the best meal he has had in awhile, so I give it an A++!

No comments:

Post a Comment